Thursday, October 15, 2015

#oneboardchallenge


Here is the initial board that I started with...




and these were my plans for all my cuts (It was too hard to draw out but the Outer "Cage" Slats were really double the amount shown. In reality each foot section I got 18 slats out of).
Here are half of the Outer "Cage" slats. I cut 72 total, 36 for both lights. Then, each slat had to have 3 holes each so I drilled a total of  216 holes. It was tedious but not horrible. 


Here they are laid out with the cubes. I had to leave one side of the cube off until all the wiring was done.  

Now to spray paint a coat before putting them together. I thought it would be easier doing this than trying to spray all of them after putting it together.
Here are the Ceiling Canopies and the Center mounts. I started to spray paint them gold before the pic but remembered just in time so that you can really see that they are wood.  

Don't you just love my table stand...
Here are the cages all put together. I used screw posts (the little silver hardware pieces) to put them together...108 in fact, all done by hand. 

Again, using what you got to get it done. My front tree helped hold up the cages while i spray painted. 


Some of my husbands elk heads held up the light fixtures.  

Just so you know, I found the light sockets and round metal pieces that went around them on 2 of these old bathroom light fixtures. They were at Goodwill for $2 a piece after the Daily Color Discount!! Woohoo! 


Here are some close up pics of each of the pieces... 




...and finally it all came together.

I loved doing this project and couldn't be happier with the end result. I made these lights for $45 a piece. It probably could've been cheaper but I used a really nice piece of wood, with no knots. I had to order extra screw posts because they came in a box of 100 and I needed 108. All in all, I think $45 is a smoking deal for a chandelier like this one. 

Oh and look how easy they are to store. They shrink down like an accordion. 


I can't believe I actually took so many pics of the progress, I never do. Also, sorry that the pics aren't the best quality. I used my phone to take all of them. 

No comments: