Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Silvy 1964

It's really funny to me that I see all these people buying vintage trailers to fix up these days. I like to say that Chance and I started this fad about 5 years ago...

Back when Chance and I were younger and had no children we decided to get a trailer. We started off with a 1984 pop-up camping trailer like the one you see below (this is not ours, I couldn’t find a pic but ours was very similar to this one).  We liked it, but didn't love it and you can't really do any improvements to it because its tiny and all the parts have to be movable. So....



we traded the pop-up for a 1964 Safari Airstream trailer.

We always had intentions of polishing it but it's a lot of work and money...so I docked up a photo one time and called it good. We were focusing on the inside anyways.
Here's one side of the trailer when we first purchased it. It was all gutted which was what we liked about it. It was a blank canvas.


and here is the other side. I know, look at those lights... They are so cute and in style now, but you have to think of when we redid this trailer. It was in 2009, over 5 years ago when decor was totally different. Also, we kind of wanted to go with the year of the trailer. So we got to work...

We named her Silvy, like the silver bullet she was. She turned out so cute and fun. Take a look.

Here's the one side with the mini kitchen. We did everything from scratch. We had even ripped up all the floors and relayed insulation to make sure it was warm. We also had to figure out all the electrical. It took a whole day, but we used the existing wires in the walls and re did all the lighting and switches.
I upholstered all the cushions and sewed all the curtains. It was a huge project, but well worth it.

All the smaller, decorative pillows were bought. I did not sew them.





and here is the other side with the table that dropped into a huge bed.

I do miss her sometimes. About a year after she was done, Chance traded her for a 5th wheel trailer that was bigger and had a bathroom. Then, this past year we sold that and bought a 5th wheel toy hauler. Chance hunts a lot and he needed a nice place to stay that could also hold our Ranger inside of it. We are happy with what we have, but I do think I want to get a small vintage trailer again to redo and take for short little getaways.

No comments: